Monday, March 18, 2013

Geraldine Challenge

In the weekend I competed in the Geraldine Mountain Bike Challenge race which consisted of 50 clicks of fast paced riding.  I was hoping to see a few of the quick Canterbury boys competing but none of them were there.
I started hard and was on my own straight away.  I knew that this event was all about pushing hard thinking about that finishing time so I kept pressing on and going as fast as I could.
The first few k's were along fast (but a bit bumpy on the hardtail!) grass tracks amongst the forestry and next to a dried river bed.  It then had a couple of long stretches along roads (tarseal and gravel) and then there was a neat mid section of the race that got stuck into the hills.  A nice change from all the flat and the lungs got to really start burning!  The course then followed through some cool tight singletrack through a series of trees and then all the back the way I had come from.  It went along the opposite side of the river we originally came from and then crossed back over to finish at the racecourse where we had started.
I had a good hit out winning the event and was glad to have pushed myself even without the top end competition not around, although it always makes things more exciting!
Just under 2 weeks now until the Oceania Champs - things are looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment