Tuesday, February 19, 2013

2013 National Championships

This year the National Championship was held in Rotorua amongst some of the finest trail network New Zealand has to offer.  The course started off the same as last years Oceania set up firing up the tarseal climb but shortly after snuck up into the trees and followed around until the first downhill section.  Continuing on through some fast trail blazing sections it then climbed up and into a valley climb and onto the shingle road and nailed through another short downhill.  After a quick skid on the shingle road again then came one of my favourite parts of the race course as we fanged down a small drop, launched over some rocks and into a bermed corner,  onto the next banked one and so on for another couple of times!  Super fun!  As the course came toward the finish there was one final pinch climb in the trees around a dogs leg corner that then flowed onto the final downhill.  It was full of ridable drops and tight corners and I was sure glad I had the big 29er wheels to cope!  Not only was it rough but was a bit loose so my Maxxis Aspens got to use there side bite and keep some serious momentum flowing on down.
The race for started off rather interesting.  I was seated at the back of the start grid, a bit confused to say the least after finishing 3rd last year but so be it.  Not alot I could do 2 minutes before the start of a National Championship!  Anyway all that was required was a bit more gas off the start line.  I managed to sneak up the side and gain a few places and once onto the single track I was sitting somewhere in the top 10.  As the pressure went on the Rotorua boys were taking full advantage of there home course and were flying round and I couldn't quite hang onto the pace.  As I battled on I started to make up some ground and entered the Top5 of the race but just after the half way point I lost a position and struggled to gain it back.  The last few laps completed saw me come over the line in 6th Elite but 4th Under 23.  A little disappointed but all things considered and ok result for the year being.  Big thanks to Mat Waghorn for helping out,  the Millers for getting some accommodation for us, also to  my sponsor Matt Bailey/Cycleways and Maxxis Tyres!

No comments:

Post a Comment